Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Gift Card

I'm doing so well!

I did buy a new pair of sunglasses yesterday since I broke my only pair. I picked out a new pair at Target and then ceremoniously threw the old pair in the trash on my way out. I then lit a small fire and sent out smoke signals to let the world know how great I was doing on my project.

Then I blamed my children when security was called.

So I received a gift card for my birthday this week. No, my birthday wasn't this week, it was actually back in June, yes, three months ago. This is no mere $10 gift card to Starbucks, it's a whopping $75 for Old Navy.
Oh, Old Navy! With your inexpensive t-shirts and jeans that fit me just right. Your buy one, get one free sweater sales.


Ack!!!

Obviously, this person was blissfully unaware of my shopping challenge. So here I sit, with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

It's been 82 days since I shopped for the mere fun of it.

I'm going to stick the gift card in a drawer for the time being. Perhaps there will be a time when a trip to Old Navy will become a necessity. If I spend it on the kids, it's still bringing stuff into my house, plus I don't think that was the purpose of the gift.

What do you think?
Is it wrong to regift the gift card because of my own challenge? Is it cheating to spend it on the kids? If the giver had given me items, I would have accepted them graciously, right? What am I to do about material gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment